Can you use turmeric for teeth whitening? Mixed with coconut oil, it is said to be a potent natural teeth brightening remedy. Here’s a recipe and how to use turmeric to whiten teeth at home naturally.
Turmeric is a spice that is commonly used at home. It is a brightly colored ingredient of ginger family and is widely used to prevent disease causing agents due to its strong anti-inflammatory properties. Turmeric is highly recommended for whitening of teeth. This is due to its bright color and strong anti-inflammatory properties. Turmeric can be mixed with other ingredients like coconut oil to whiten teeth naturally. Therefore the use of turmeric is neither a hoax nor a myth.
Turmeric is a golden-yellow spice that originated from India. It is one of the best, multi-talented remedies for many different ailments. It can be used as an anti-inflammatory for people suffering from arthritis, joint pain, and muscle pain. It also aids in digestion, works as an anti-parasitic, and anti-bacterial and also as teeth whitener.
Does turmeric whiten teeth?
Despite its yellow color, turmeric has been proved to whiten teeth. More so turmeric not only whitens the teeth but also cleanses them to remove any bacterial infection that may be present. The removal of bacteria is possible because turmeric has anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. In addition to that, turmeric has a mild and abrasive property.
Turmeric is mixed with other ingredients like coconut oil and baking soda to form a paste. The paste is then used in brushing the teeth. It very excellent when it comes to whitening of teeth. This is because, turmeric does not have side effects and the use of it for longer period of time leaves a nice polish on the teeth.
Moreover, turmeric contains curcumin, this component greatly helps in keeping teeth free from bacterial infection thus preventing teeth from decaying. However, due to its abrasiveness, it recommended to use turmeric only once in a day. Otherwise, it may cause inflammation and irritation of the gums because they are soft and sensitive.
How to use turmeric to whiten teeth
Turmeric is recommended for whitening of teeth because, it contains vitamin C, calcium, magnesium, and selenium which are very important for strong, healthy teeth. It also anti – inflammatory property gives relief from the gum and other oral problems. Moreover, turmeric is antibacterial, so it kills germs and other micro – organisms that causes gum and tooth problems.
Turmeric teeth whitening can be used in many ways. It can be used by mixing it with coconut oil, baking soda, and can also be mixed with water to form a paste. The paste is used as a natural remedy for brushing teeth. Mixing turmeric with other ingredients makes it more powerful and effective I whitening of teeth. Below is how to use turmeric paste and in collaboration with other ingredients.
1. Organic turmeric powder teeth whitening
The requirement here is to have the organic turmeric powder. It is readily available in the market. When ready to use, kindly follow the steps below for effectiveness and maxim results;
- Wet your toothbrush and then dip it in 1/8 teaspoon turmeric powder.
- Brush teeth as normal, but instead of rinsing when you’re done,
- Allow the turmeric to sit on your teeth for 3-5 minutes so that it can work on the teeth.
- Spit and rinse the teeth thoroughly.
- Brush your teeth for the second time using your normal toothpaste.
However, in case there is still some yellowing around the corners of your mouth, wash with soap and it will rinse away. Likewise, if any turmeric powder is left on your teeth or gums it will cause a slight yellow tint, but when the turmeric is fully rinsed away you should notice a brighter, whiter smile.
2. Turmeric teeth whitening paste
In order to use turmeric teeth whitening paste effectively, follow the guidelines below;
- Mix one table spoon of turmeric powder with an equal amount of water to make a thick paste.
- Use the paste to brush your teeth gently for 3- 4 minutes
- Spit and rinse until the water coming out is clear
- Repeat this regularly to achieve fast results.
However, is important for one note that, due to its colored nature, turmeric may cause staining of the brush used. In addition, it has an awful taste. The best part of it is that turmeric is very effective for white and sparking teeth that you will get after using it.
3. Turmeric teeth whitening recipe
Turmeric teeth whitening recipe is made by mixing organic turmeric powder with other ingredients like melted coconut oil to make a paste. Turmeric is used as a spice that has been proven to provide many health benefits. The paste is then used to whiten teeth by using to brush the teeth. The paste is very excellent when it comes in teeth whitening.
Coconut oil on the other hand, is also an important ingredient in this natural teeth whitener recipe. This is to its antimicrobial properties. Various cases of bacteria have been shown to be withdrawn by the fatty acids that are derived from coconut oil, making it the perfect supplement to put in oral hygiene products in order to prevent infections and gum disease.
For effective whitening of the teeth using teeth whitening recipe, follow the steps below;
- Mix the organic turmeric powder with melted coconut oil until it forms a thick paste.
- Apply the paste to your toothbrush as you would with regular toothpaste.
- Brush teeth as normal.
- Let the turmeric-toothpaste stay on your teeth for three to five minutes -This allows the whitening and anti-bacterial properties of the paste to really come into effect.
- Spit out the excess paste and rinse out your mouth thoroughly.
4. Turmeric, Baking Soda, and Coconut Oil teeth whitening
A mixture of turmeric, baking soda, and coconut oil is very effective in teeth whitening. For effective use of the three ingredients, the following steps should be followed carefully.
- Mix 4 tablespoons of turmeric powder, 2 teaspoons of baking soda, and 2 ½ to 3 tablespoons of organic virgin coconut oil.
- Spread 2 teaspoons of this mixture on your toothbrush.
- Gently brush your teeth for 1 – 2 minutes.
- Swish 1 teaspoon of melted coconut oil in your mouth for 1 minute and then spit it out.
- Rinse mouth with water.
- Repeat this several times a week and then reduce the frequency to once or twice a week.
- Store the left over mixture in refrigerator for further use.
Other ways of using turmeric for teeth whitening
There are many other possible ways in which turmeric can be used to whiten teeth. This includes, the use of turmeric toothpaste, turmeric together with salt, lemon juice, salt and melted coconut oil.
6. Use of turmeric Toothpaste
Turmeric toothpaste is made by use of turmeric powder and coconut oil. The two ingredients turmeric and coconut oil are mixed in the ratio 2:1 respectively to form a paste. Below are the steps to follow when make and use turmeric toothpaste:
- Mix 1/4 teaspoon of organic turmeric powder in 1/8 teaspoon of melted coconut oil.
- Dip your tooth brush in the paste and brush your teeth normally.
- Let this mix sit on your teeth for 3-5 minutes after thorough brushing without washing.
- Spit it and rinse thoroughly.
- Now brush again with regular toothpaste you use
6. Turmeric, Lemon Juice, and Salt
Lemon is very useful. It responsible for killing any bacteria that may cause teeth discoloration. It gently bleaches away stains. Salt on the other hand scrubs away toxins that normally cause teeth discoloration. For effective and fast whitening of teeth, the following procedure should be followed;
- Roast turmeric root for few minutes.
- Grind them into a fine powder.
- Add lemon juice and salt to it.
- Apply this paste on the teeth and let it rest for few minutes.
- Rinse it off with water thoroughly.
- Repeat at least 3 times a week.
7. Turmeric Mouthwash
The mouth-watering symphony of turmeric is described as peppery-mustard like, with a slightly bitter taste and almost earthy scent. Despite its flavor, turmeric powder is a versatile spice that can play role in almost all kinds of simple health recipes. When using turmeric, it is advisable to mix it with other ingredients. These ingredients like soups, stews, will help to moderate flavor.
Turmeric plays a significant role in the mouth. It contains curcumin which is the yellow pigment which helps in teeth whitening and in the treatment of the inflammation of gum tissues. When using turmeric mouth wash, follow the steps below for effectiveness.
- Mix ½ teaspoon of turmeric powder into ½ glass of water.
- Swish mixture around in your mouth for at least 1 minute, then spit it out.
- Rinse your mouth thoroughly with normal water to remove any yellow stains.
- Repeat daily for desired results.
7. Chewing Turmeric
Chewing raw turmeric is very important for health. Turmeric contains curcumin which implies that the consumption of it may help one to get rid of many infections and abnormalities. It also helps in teeth whitening. In addition to containing a host of essential minerals and vitamins, turmeric also contains antioxidants that help fight inflammation. When chewing raw turmeric, follow the guidelines below.
- Chew a bite-size piece of fresh turmeric root for 2 – 5 minutes.
- Spit it out and rinse with water.
- Repeat daily.
8. Spiced Turmeric Tea
Turmeric teas are normally used for relieving pain and aches and body inflammations. Turmeric contains curcumin’s which has anti-inflammatory properties. It is therefore used like any other anti-inflammatory drugs.
Turmeric used for flavoring food since it gives it a yellow glow. It is a delicious soothing home remedy that can be used to alleviate gum problems. When preparing turmeric teas, follow the steps below carefully for effectiveness;
- Mix 1 cup of milk or almond milk, 1 teaspoon of cinnamon, ½ teaspoon of turmeric, ¼ teaspoon of ginger, a pinch of nutmeg, and a pinch of clove.
- Bring this mixture to boil on stove or microwave for few minutes.
- Strain, add raw honey or your preferred sweetener.
- Drink this tea daily.
9. Turmeric with Vanilla Essence
Turmeric can be mixed with unsweetened milk to form a paste. The steps below should be followed;
- Mix ½ teaspoon each of turmeric powder and vanilla essence to make a paste.
- Dip the toothbrush and brush teeth gently and thoroughly.
- Rinse with water, then brush with regular toothpaste.
- Repeat at least 3 times a week.
11. Turmeric, Salt, and Mustard Oil
Mustard oil is widely used all over the world as healthy cooking oil. The oil is rich in vitamins and has antioxidant property that makes it a main ingredient for many medicines. On the other hand, salt is also beneficial for many teeth and gum related issues. Salt also helps one get rid of bad smell from the mouth.
Moreover, mustard oil, salt and turmeric all have individual benefit for teeth but if the paste containing the three is used, the effectiveness also increases. For effective use, follow the steps below;
- Mix 1 teaspoon of mustard oil, ½ teaspoon of turmeric, and a pinch of salt.
- Use this mixture as toothpaste and brush gently for few minutes.
- Repeat at least 3 times a week.
12. Oil Pulling with Turmeric
The main aim of oil pulling is to whiten the teeth. When coconut oil is mixed with other components such as turmeric, it is very effective in oil pulling. Using tooth whitening turmeric in oil pulling chews is very helpful, it helps in teeth whitening and the overall oral health supporting properties. The chews themselves make this process much more convenient. For effectiveness, follow the steps below;
- Use oil pulling mouth rinse that contains turmeric.
- Gently swish using chewing motion for 10 – 20 minutes in the morning before drinking or eating anything.
- Follow this process regularly to achieve white and bright teeth.
Turmeric teeth whitening before and after pictures
Turmeric is very useful in whitening of teeth. When teeth whitening process is done properly using turmeric, one should be able to notice the teeth beginning to whiten within a few days after application.
This may be proved by carrying out a careful examination of teeth pictures before and after using turmeric. There is a great difference that tells us, turmeric is surely a strong natural remedy for whitening of teeth.
Sources and references
- org: Turmeric Teeth Whitening- How to Whiten your Teeth Naturally with Turmeric
- Home Remedies for Life: 10 Natural Ways to Use Turmeric For Teeth Whitening
- GreenMedinfo: Turmeric Superior to Chemical Mouthwash in Improving Oral Health
- Me n Mom health: NATURAL TEETH WHITENING-MUSTARD OIL & SALT FOR TEETH
- Juicing for Health: 3-Ingredient Homemade Toothpaste With Turmeric To Whiten Teeth And Reverse Gum Disease