Dandruff are those white or grey flakes that normally appear on the skin, particularly on the scalp and in the hair. These flakes makes the skin to feel itchy and dry. There are several treatments including home remedies for dandruff that can be used naturally in order to help get rid of dandruff fast, permanently and in one wash.
Dandruff are formed during the formation of new skin cells. The human skin usually produces new skin cells and sheds of the old skin cells. This is to maintain the health of the skin. When this cycle of skin renewal occurs, dandruff begin to form. This is as a result of patches of dead skin which normally form of the scalp and later on spread into the hair.
Dandruff is not contagious and cannot cause other health problems. But if it stays long without treatment, dandruff can cause temporary hair loss due to the scratching in order to relieve the itching. This weakens the hair roots and causes them to fall off.
Table of Contents
- What causes dandruff on scalp, beard and eyebrows?
- Can you get rid of dandruff overnight or instantly?
- How to get rid of dandruff fast
- How to get rid of dandruff in one wash
- Natural home remedies for dandruff
- Neem and olive oil as a remedy for dandruff
- Use of coconut and honey scalp scrub as dandruff remedy
- Aspirin as s remedy for dandruff
- Baking soda and lemon
- Use of salt to treat dandruff
- Banana and apple cider vinegar
- How to use coconut oil remedy
- How to use tea tree oil remedy
- Cedar wood oil
- Use of olive oil remedy
- Use of egg oil dandruff remedy
- Use of aloe vera
- Tips to prevent dandruff
- Can you get rid of dandruff permanently (for good)
- Sources and references
What causes dandruff on scalp, beard and eyebrows?
Dandruff affect most of the body parts including on the scalp, beard, eyebrows etc. Before you go on to looking on how to treat the problem first, it is very important to know the causes. This will in identifying the effective treatment for dandruff. These are:
- Dry skin
- Skin sensitivity to hair care products
- Skin conditions such as psoriasis,
- Seborrheic dermatitis
- The overgrowth of yeast like fungus
- Tinea capitis
- Allergic contact dermatitis
- Improper and irregular brushing of hair
- Improper diet
- Infrequent shampooing of hair
Can you get rid of dandruff overnight or instantly?
Dandruff is a condition that may keep on recurring most of the time if it is not well treated. Some medications and treatments may be used but it comes back after a few weeks or a month. It is therefore possible to get rid of this condition overnight or instantly. Here are several remedies that can be used to get rid of dandruff instantly or in one day:
Use of tea tree oil remedy
Tea tree oil is a very effective remedy when it comes to dandruff. It has antifungal properties that kill the yeast like fungus which cause dandruff. It is also effective in getting rid of itchy scalp. It can be used together with shampoos. Buy tree oil separately and mix it with your shampoo. For convenience, you can get a tea tree oil shampoo with the oil already in it.
Use of medications overnight to get rid of dandruff instantly
Most of the shampoos and oil treatments work effectively when left in for a longer period of time. Most of them require at least eight hours, typically overnight. Therefore, if they are given enough time, one can get rid of dandruff overnight. It is therefore advisable for an individual to find a well-fitting shower cap before applying them, if the individual intends to sleep with them.
How to get rid of dandruff fast
There several ways to treat seborrheic dermatitis fast and permanently. From curd to Indian lilac, tea tree oil, baking soda, coconut oil etc., there are plenty of home remedies you can use to remove the menace permanently.
1. Curd dandruff remedy
Curd is an effective home remedy to get rid of dandruff fast. This remedy contains anti-bacterial properties. It contains natural properties that help in preventing antibacterial and fungicidal infection of the scalp. It is a perfect exfoliate to remove dead skin cells deposited on the scalp.
Curd has been found to be a permanent home remedy for dandruff. Apply fresh curd or yogurt made at home can be applied on the scalp and leave it for 15 minutes. Then remove it with the help of a mild shampoo.
2. Indian lilac to get rid of dandruff fast
Indian lilac which is popularly known as neem is loaded with anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties which help to cure dandruff efficiently. It can also reduce your fungal scalp infection and also helps you to get rid from the itchy scalp. In order to use it effectively, follow the guidelines below:
- Take a hand full neem leaves and boils it in four cups of water.
- Take and stain the solution and cool it down.
- Rinse and wash your hair with the solution.
- For better result, use this solution at least three times in a week. This quick remedy works perfectly to remove dandruff fast.
3. How to use tea tree oil to get rid of dandruff fast
Tea tree oil has excellent anti-inflammatory properties and a higher rate of dermal penetration, which makes it one of the best remedies for getting rid of dandruff fast. For effective use of tea tree oil remedy to get rid of dandruff fast, follow the steps below;
- Take a little amount of shampoo in a cup, and add a few drops of tea tree oil to it.
- Mix well and rub the shampoo-oil mixture into your scalp.
- Rinse it out after five minutes.
How to get rid of dandruff in one wash
Can you get rid of dandruff in one wash? Dandruff is an annoying and an embarrassing hair condition that causes itchy, flaky scalp. It is also embarrassing due to the scratching in order to relieve the itching. Therefore, it is very important to find the best ways of getting rid of dandruff fast. Below are some of the effective ways to treat dandruff permanently in one wash.
Use vinegar rinse to get rid of dandruff fast
Diluted vinegar rinses can be used for getting rid of dandruff permanently in one wash. It can be used for pets as well. Any kind of vinegar can be used though Apple cider vinegar works best. Before using it, vinegar should be diluted because it is highly acidic. The acidity nature of vinegar makes it hard for yeast and fungus to survive on the scalp.
Use of anti-dandruff shampoo to get rid of dandruff in one wash
Anti-dandruff shampoos are known to be effective in the treatment of dandruff in just one wash. The contain ketoconazole and other antifungal agents. Other dandruff fighting shampoos contain selenium sulfide or zinc Pyrithione which are the effective dandruff remedies.
Natural home remedies for dandruff
Home care can also help relieve dandruff symptoms and the problem clears away on its own over time. Lemon, coconut oil, apple cider vinegar, baking soda, tea tree oil, salt, curd, neem juice etc. are one of the best home remedies for dandruff. Here is how to get rid of dandruff naturally without use of antibiotics or medicine:
Neem and olive oil as a remedy for dandruff
Neem oil is made from neem seed extract. Neem has medicinal properties that make it a useful herb for skin problems and many other ailments. Neem oil relieves irritation because of its soothing properties. Its anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties will also be beneficial in the treatment of dandruff. Here’s how to use neem and olive oil remedy for dandruff.
- Crush the neem leaves to a powder.
- Mix the powder and olive oil in a bowl.
- Apply the paste to your scalp.
- Leave it on for about an hour. Then, wash your hair with shampoo and apply conditioner.
It should be noted that the paste can be applied on the scalp in the morning, before having a bath. Or, you could even use it at night, and shampoo your hair in the morning. However, the scalp might itch when you apply the paste. This sensation is normal, and there is no need to worry about it.
Use of coconut and honey scalp scrub as dandruff remedy
Coconut helps in preserving the hair’s natural proteins and is also known to eliminate dandruff. According to an Italian study, honey is a suitable ingredient for treating dandruff, owing to its antimicrobial properties. Here is how to remove dandruff fast using coconut and honey scrub:
- Mix the ingredients in a bowl to get a paste of medium consistency. In case the paste is still runny, you can add a little more of yogurt or honey to thicken it.
- Apply the paste to your scalp and gently massage it. Rub it from the roots to the tips of your hair.
- Continue massaging for about 10 minutes.
- Leave it on for about 30-45 minutes, and then rinse it out using shampoo.
- Once done, pat your hair dry with a soft towel and apply a few drops of coconut oil to your hair and scalp.
Aspirin as s remedy for dandruff
Aspirin contains salicylates that exfoliate the scalp and help treat dandruff.
- Crush the aspirin tablets and add the powder to a bowl.
- Mix a little amount of your regular shampoo with the powder.
- Shampoo as usual using this mixture. Leave the shampoo on your hair for two minutes, after which you can rinse with water.
Baking soda and lemon
Baking soda works by reducing the overactive fungi that are responsible for dandruff. Therefore it can be used with lemon as a home remedy for dandruff. Below is how to use it:
- Mix the ingredients in a bowl and apply the paste to your scalp.
- Leave it as it is for about 10 minutes, or until the scalp starts to itch.
- Wash your hair with water.
- You can use apple cider vinegar as a conditioner.
Use of salt to treat dandruff
The abrasive nature of table salt plays a significant role in scrubbing off the dandruff flakes before you shampoo your hair. Therefore, salt can be used as a home remedy for dandruff. Here is how to use it:
- Rub the salt onto your scalp (ensure your scalp is dry when you do this).
- Work the salt through your hair, giving your scalp a good massage.
- Do this for about 10 minutes, or until you have worked out the dry and flaky skin.
- Shampoo your hair as usual.
Banana and apple cider vinegar
Bananas are excellent sources of B vitamins – the nutrients that improve circulation and keep your skin healthy. Apple cider vinegar is a known fungicide and germ killer, and it helps treat dandruff. In order to use banana and cider vinegar, follow the simple steps below:
- Peel the banana and put it in a tumbler. To this, add the apple cider vinegar.
- Stir thoroughly till you get a smooth paste.
- Apply the mixture to your hair. Massage the mixture into your scalp and ensure it completely covers your hair.
- Leave it on for about 20 minutes, after which you can rinse your hair completely with water.
How to use coconut oil remedy
Coconut oil penetrates deep into the epidermis and works from within. It contains medium-chain fatty acids, which have regenerative properties that can help treat dandruff
- Simply wash your hair with shampoo and let your hair dry completely. Do not use a conditioner.
- Apply the coconut oil directly to your scalp and leave it on for a few minutes.
- Wash your hair thoroughly with water.
How to use tea tree oil remedy
Tea tree oil has excellent anti-inflammatory properties and a higher rate of dermal penetration, which makes it one of the best remedies for dandruff. Tea tree oil originates from an Australian tree and is known for its antifungal properties. For effective use of tea tree oil remedy to get rid of dandruff fast, follow the steps below;
- Take a little amount of shampoo in a cup, and add a few drops of tea tree oil to it.
- Mix well and rub the shampoo-oil mixture into your scalp.
- Rinse it out after five minutes.
Cedar wood oil
Cedar wood oil has anti-seborrheic properties that treat dandruff and other inflammatory scalp conditions. In order to cure dandruff fast the steps below are to be considered:
- Mix the ingredients in a bowl, and rub the mixture into your scalp.
- Leave it on for about an hour.
- Wash your hair with a mild shampoo and rinse with warm water.
- Mix the same quantities of the oils in two cups of water, and use this solution as a final rinse.
Use of olive oil remedy
Olive oil remedy deals with dandruff in two ways. One, olive oil moisturizes the dry areas of the scalp and prevents them from flaking. A little amount of olive oil can help loosen those stubborn dandruff scales. They will eventually fall off your scalp, leaving it healthy and rejuvenated.
Two, olive oil is easily absorbed into the thick and scaly areas of the scalp that cause continuous dandruff issues. Due to this, the scaly areas fall away as one large piece instead of separate flakes. This helps put an end to dandruff as the affected spot can finally heal.
- Apply the olive oil to your scalp. Do this about 10 minutes before you wash your hair.
- Post that, you can wash your hair normally with shampoo.
You can also apply olive oil before going to bed. Wrap your head in a towel to absorb the extra oil. You can wash your hair as usual in the morning.
It is important to note that, olive oil remedy should be used before taking birth or in the night before going to bed. However, to prevent your head from attracting dust after the use of olive oil, cover your head with a cotton wrap.
Use of egg oil dandruff remedy
Egg oil is rich in long-chain polyunsaturated omega-3 fatty acids that strengthen the hair follicles. The oil also contains cholesterol that can eliminate dandruff. For effective use of egg oil to treat dandruff fast, follow the steps below:
- Massage the egg oil into your scalp and leave it on overnight.
- in the morning, shampoo as usual using a mild herbal shampoo.
This should be done in the night before going to bed. Moreover, the egg oil should be applied this twice or thrice a week for about 12 weeks.
Use of aloe vera
Aloe Vera- Aloe Vera contains anti-bacterial and anti- fungal properties. Use fresh aloe for maximum benefits. It also contains an enzyme called proteolytic enzyme, which has the property of breaking down protein like dead skin cells. As the dead skin cells are removed with the help of aloe, the chances of eradicating dandruff are that much higher. For effectiveness, follow the steps below:
- Cut fresh aloe and extract its gel.
- Apply it on your scalp.
- Then wash it off with a mild shampoo. It’s an easy and very effective remedy to try.
Tips to prevent dandruff
In order to relieve the symptoms of dandruff quickly, here are tips to prevent dandruff in addition to the home remedies above:
- Use the Right Shampoos
Having a clean scalp and hair is important to prevent dandruff. There are many anti-dandruff shampoos that work wonders. It is best to choose something mild unless your case is severe. You need to prevent the accumulation of dead cells, and the best way to do this is to keep your hair and scalp immaculately clean.
- by brushing hair to remove oils
Brushing out an oily, dandruff-affected scalp before a hair wash can also help reduce dandruff.
- Rest adequately
Lack of proper sleep and stress can increase the chances of dandruff.
- Covering your hair while traveling
Covering your hair while travelling ensures that hair is not exposed to the polluted environmental conditions. This will help shield one’s hair from dandruff and other fungal infections.
- Oil your hair before swimming
The oil makes the hair and the scalp waterproof. This will help reduce the risk of chlorine in the water spoiling your hair.
- Never expose hair to harsh sunrays
Do not expose your hair to the harsh sun rays, especially because the harmful UVA and UVB rays can dry the hair out.
- Use herbal products
Make sure you use herbal products to remove dandruff as most products available in the market contain harmful parabens, sulfates, and silicones. Look out for ingredients such as ZPT and Pro-V Complex these ingredients help reduce dandruff to a great extent.
- Avoid sharing of combs and brushes
Can you get rid of dandruff permanently (for good)
Dandruff is and embarrassing condition on the scalp. It causes irritation of the scalp. There need to look for long lasting remedies for it so as to prevent it from recurring. Below are the measures to be put in place in order to treat dandruff permanently or for good.
1. Eat live yoghurt to get rid of dandruff permanently
Yoghurt contains heathy bacteria. It therefore helps get rid of the yeast which is the root cause of dandruff. However, plain live yoghurt should be used and not the fruit yoghurt. Fruit yoghurt will in fact trigger the growth of yeast.
There is small amount of yeast that live on the scalp and feed on dead skin. When this yeast overgrow, it causes a flakes and itching on the scalp. The presence of good bacteria on the skin keeps in check this yeast. If the number of bad bacteria exceeds the number of good bacteria, there is overgrowth of yeast. Therefore, taking antibiotics and diet with health bacteria relieves one from dandruff.
2. Avoid feeding on yeast
To remove dandruff fast, one should remove all foods that feed the yeast. This foods includes, bread, fruit juices, alcoholic drinks, soya sauce and vinegar. Moreover, the individual should avoid refined flour and sugar for at least two to three weeks.
3. Take fatty acids
Foods that contain fatty acids nourish the skin from inside out and thus help to remove the dryness from the skin. This also reduces the itching on the scalp surface. Dandruff usually occur when the sebaceous glands produce little oil causing dry, flaky and itchy scalp.
4. Ditch your shampoo
The harsh detergents and preservatives used in shampoo can cause irritation on the scalp and cause excess dryness. Even the so called natural shampoos contain detergents that can drain natural oils and cause scalp irritation. It is there advisable to get used to the homemade shampoos so as to get rid of dandruff fast and permanently.
5. Use of shower filter to cure dandruff permanently
Hard water contains calcium and mineral deposits. If an individual uses this water, the dandruff becomes worse, the scalp becomes itchy and cannot budge. Therefore water filter should be used to get rid of calcium and mineral present in the hard water.
Sources and references
- NHS Choices: Dandruff
- Med Broadcast: Dandruff
- MAYO CLINIC: Dandruff
- Hair Buddha: 5 ways to get rid of dandruff permanently
- Best Remedies: How to Get Rid Of Dandruff In One Wash – 10 Best Remedies
Beauty Health Tips: How to remove dandruff fast – Tips to get rid of dandruff