What is the best drugstore shampoo for dark hair, dry damaged hair, fine hair and oily hair? There are many cheap and affordable dry shampoos at local drugstores, but how do you choose the best? Here’s a list of top rated dry shampoos for volume and other uses.
With a good dry shampoo product, you will find it easy to prolong your blowout and keep your hair sexy. For most girls who are busy, this type of hair product is their best friend. You will get that freedom to go an extra day without having to wash your hair, (and worry not, your hair will remain clean enough). But what is the best dry shampoo at the drugstore for adding volume to your hair?
Table of Contents
- What Is Dry Shampoo?
- Top Rated Drugstore Dry Shampoos – Best 5 Products
- Best Drugstore Dry Shampoo for Dark Hair
- Best Dry Shampoo for Fine Hair at Drug Stores (for Volume)
- Best Dry Shampoo for Oily Hair with Dry Scalp
- How to Use Dry Shampoo (and Benefits)
- Best Cheap Dry Shampoo – Affordable or Inexpensive Brands
- Drugstore Dry Shampoo Reviews
What Is Dry Shampoo?
A dry shampoo is exactly what the name suggests. It is dry and is not used in liquid form. According to TotalBeauty’s definition, these shampoo products “come in spray or powder form, and not only soak up oil, they also clean hair, water-free…” What is more about dry hair products like this one is that it will do more than just being dry; it will boost the volume of your hair while removing the dirt and buildup.
Top Rated Drugstore Dry Shampoos – Best 5 Products
According to most reviews, the following is a list of products that are not only popular but also trending for the past three or four years: 2013, 2014, 2015. These shampoos have been rated as good for all types of hair, be it fine blond hair, dark hair, a dry scalp or dandruff infested hair. However, when choosing a cheap drugstore shampoo, it is also advisable that you go for one that is made specifically for your type of hair.
- Pronto Oscar Blandi Dry Shampoo (rated 4.3 out of 5 stars on Sephora from a total of 1205 reviews; 4 out of 5 stars on Amazon reviews)
- Batiste Dry Shampoo (Rated 4.1 out of 5 stars according to reviews, is cheap and top quality)
- Tresemme Dry Shampoo
- Salon Grafix Dry Shampoo
- Travel Size Dry Shampoo
There are other dry hair shampoo products that you can also use depending on your hair type. Some powder spray dry shampoos will help your hair if it keeps on falling flat. Shampoos such as Big Sexy Hair are known to not only add volume to hair but also eliminate grease and buildup. This is particularly good if you have oily hair.
For women with colored hair, Rusk Deepshine Color Care Invisible is a good drugstore shampoo for dry colored hair too. You now get it that you can get just about any type of product that is well formulated for your specific needs. Other top brands include:
- Nexxus Dry Shampoo
- Lush No Drought Dry Shampoo
Best Drugstore Dry Shampoo for Dark Hair
Did you know that you can make dry shampoo for dry hair at home? That would be an inexpensive option for you. However, if you do not have the time, you could opt for a good drugstore dry shampoo for dark hair that you can use in between washes.
- When choosing the perfect shampoo to use on light hair and dark hair, ensure that you go for one that has a hint of color that complements your hair color. If you have blonde hair, you will go for a shade that is closest to your hair color. For dark hair, choose a water-free shampoo that has dark color such as dark brown.
- A top rated cheap shampoo for dark hair you can buy at drug stores around you is Batiste Dry Shampoo Deep Brown.
- Again, if your hair is dark and fine or oily, you will need to look at the specifics of the shampoo. For instance, an oily dry shampoo spray is not very good for black oily hair.
Dark hair shades such as black hair, brown hair, dark brown hair highlights may need a hair product that is meant specifically for those hair types. Therefore, ensure that you choose a good product that will match your hair color.
Best Dry Shampoo for Fine Hair at Drug Stores (for Volume)
Fine hair is mostly weakened and breaks easily. According to Philip Kingsley’s fine hair guide, “Fine hair is hair in which the diameter of each individual strand is fine. It does not refer to the actual number of hairs on your scalp.” You already know that having this texture of hair may make you shampoo it everyday to create a good scalp environment.
However, you may have noticed that washing fine hair on a daily basis may break your hair strands, and that applying a post-shampoo conditioner may weigh it down. For this reason, you will need a good inexpensive fine hair dry shampoo at the drugstore that will help you avoid straining your hair will keeping you smelling fresh and feeling clean.
It is obvious that any woman or man with fine hair will want to add some body or volume to their texture. Therefore, the product you choose must be an affordable volumizing dry shampoo.
So, what options do you have? Simple – you need a dry hair thickening shampoo. Umberto Beverly Hills Dry Clean is one of the best inexpensive fine hair volumizing shampoos you will at local drugstores for under $10. It costs about $5 at some online retail outlets and is highly rated, getting a remarkable 4.6 stars out of 5 stars on Target reviews. What if you have oily hair?
Best Dry Shampoo for Oily Hair with Dry Scalp
Do you have a dry scalp that feels greasy? You definitely have oily hair. But that is not the conclusion. A dry scalp could be overproducing sebum just like some people’s oily skin does, or you do not wash your mane regularly and it forms buildup that feels greasy.
Dry shampoos are originally made for oily hair types. The product absorbs the excess oil on the scalp, leaving it with a nice moisturized but not wet feeling. Your hair will feel softer, healthier and volumized if you spray a good drugstore powder shampoo for oily hair and dry scalp. So, what drugstore drugstore shampoo for oily hair with dry scalp should you go for? Here are our top 3 picks:
- Lulu Organic Hair Powder
- Blow Pro Faux Dry Dry Shampoo
- René Furterer Naturia
How to Use Dry Shampoo (and Benefits)
Now that you are armed with an inexpensive hair product from drugstore, how exactly do you use it to benefit your hair? Remember, grooming your hair is everything but the price. While drugstore hair products will help you save on your budget, using them appropriately will ensure you also be part of the community that writes great product reviews about these dry shampoos. Here’s how to use dry shampoo at home.
The steps are simple:
- Spray the shampoo onto your hair positioning the bottle about 12 inches away from your roots.
- Blend it into your hair to ensure all the hair gets it. This should be like a mini massage.
- Volumize using a slime hair brush.
You can see details of this procedure in this tutorial. But what benefits do you get from the whole procedure? The benefits of buying a cheap drugstore dry shampoo include the following:
- In just one spray, the product will boost the volume of your hair, which is a bonus for most women with thin hair
- It makes back-combing easy as it helps lock in hair
- According to Cosmopolitan Magazine, dry shampoo spray will add grip to bobby pins
- Prevents curly hair from clumping together
Best Cheap Dry Shampoo – Affordable or Inexpensive Brands
Popsugar, Huffingtonpost and many other reviewers have lists of cheap, inexpensive or affordable dry shampoos that you can get at your nearest drugstore. Here’s our top 5 cheapest brands in the market that you can go for today:
- Dove Invigorating ($4)
- Tresemmé Fresh Start Color Care ($4)
- Pssssst Instant ($7)
- Herbal Essences Naked Dry Shampoo ($7)
- Klorane Gentle With Oat Milk ($9)
Drugstore Dry Shampoo Reviews
Reviews and customer testimonials for the products listed above show that they work as expected, at least most of them. Below are user ratings and reviews on some of our top listed drugstore dry hair products for different hair types and uses as discussed above.
Umberto Beverly Hills Reviews: Overall Rating for Fine Hair – 4.6/5 stars; “I purchased this last week and the product itself worked pretty well, but after a few days, the spray nozzle stopped working…” [Target Reviews]
Pronto Oscar Blandi Dry Shampoo Reviews: Top rated on our list with 4.3/5 stars; customer testimonial: “I have ultra-greasy hair and regular dry shampoo is a lost cause for me, but this stuff works remarkably well… it works best if you really work it in and apply under the hair, not on top which can leave splotches and frizz” [Sephora Reviews]
Batiste Dry Shampoo Reviews: Ulta’s rating is 4.4/5 stars; user review of the product: “I love this stuff!! I have really thick dry hair…my scalp gets so oily,…Because my hair is dry (everywhere other than the scalp)… Spray from far away, let it settle for a minute or so than brush/comb it through like the directions say. It is great.” [Amazon]