What are the best drugstore lipstick colors? In this article, read on matte pink, mauve and purple lipstick colors, how to wear them and on what occasion. Also, find out the best drugstore orange and burgundy lipstick colors.
What is the Best Drugstore Lipstick Color?
“Lipstick is a cosmetic product that contains pigments, oils and emollients that apply color, texture and protection to the lips” Wikipedia. They are available in a wide range of colors. The use of lipsticks dates back to the old times and is not exclusively worn by women.
Lipstick is a make- up tool that can work magic in changing you r facial outlook depending on how well you choose what suits you best. When choosing the best drugstore lipstick, go for one that blends in with your skin tone, goes on easily and provides protection to your lips- the most important qualities of any lipstick. You can also check out the best moisturizing lipsticks from the drugstore- Rimmel Moisture Renew Lipstick.
Top rated drugstore lipsticks
- Bobbi Brown Creamy Lip Color
- Chanel rouge Coco Shine
- Nars Satin Finish Lipstick
- Neutrogena Moisture Shine Lipstick
- Revlon Super Lustrous Lipstick
Best Matte Drugstore Lipstick
Matte lipsticks are known for the ability to stay on longer but lack shine. They lack the moisturizing benefits offered by other types of lipsticks that contain emollients. Matte lipsticks are a favorite among young women. Older women have dry skin- avoiding matte lipsticks as they have a drying effect on the already wrinkled and chapped lips. These lipsticks were quite popular in the early 1900’s.
The best drugstore matte lipsticks are available in rich and dark hues. Due to the low oil to wax ratio, these lipsticks give a dull finish. Here are some of the best drugstore matte lipsticks
- NYX matte lipstick-pure red
- Smashbox Be Legendary Lipstick-Fuchsia Flash Matte
- Clinique Long Last Soft Matte- Pink Chocolate
- Tom Ford Beauty-Flame Lip Color, Matte
- NARS Pure Matte- Mascate
Best Drugstore Pink Lipstick
Matte pink lipstick is slowly gaining a slot in the makeup scenes for spring and autumn. Whether its baby pink, pale petal or fuchsia, here is a guide to wearing matte pink lipstick:
During the day, opt for pale shades of matte pink lipsticks like NYX Matte Lipstick- Pale Pink. If going out at night, paint the town pink in the more outgoing hot pink –NYX Matte Lipstick in Shocking Pink.
The secret to wearing matte pink lipstick is matching your skin undertones. Go purple or blue if you have cool toned skin- NYX shocking pink. Orange shades of matte pink brighten up warm skin tones. Try NARS Carthage. Here are more matte pink lipsticks available at the drugstore,
- Clinique Long Lasting Soft Matte in pink chocolate
- MAC Retro Matte
- Color Crush Matte Lipstick- Peachy Pink
- NARS Semi-Matte Lipstick- Catfight
- Forever 21 Matte Lipstick Fuchsia
Best Drugstore Orange Lipstick
Orange is a perfect color for the summer. Orange lipsticks were a big hit on the runway during New York Fashion Week Spring 2014 making it a favorite among celebrities like Lupita Nyong’o with a blunt shade and Solange Knowles with a bright orange. Unless you want to look like a clown, keep eye makeup minimal- curled lashes and clear touch of mascara and you are good to go.
Matte orange lipstick- For a bold classy look, go for matte rather than shimmer or pearl finish. Darker tanned skin looks better with bold oranges (Beauty is Life Lipstick in Orange and Morange Lipstick) while fair skinned women stand out in orange-coral shades. (Revlon Kiss Me Coral in Orange or Meltdown Lipstick)
Best Drugstore Purple Lipstick
When wearing the best drugstore purple lipstick, go for a softer eye shadow color, minimal eye liner and a winged eye to allow your lips the attention they deserve. It is a very versatile color that does not necessarily come out as serious- dark purple, bright purple, red purple and pink purple work easily in any skin tone. Those with pink or red undertones are easier to pull off.
With lots of shades to choose from, this color adds energy to your face from the Gothic dark to gorgeous matte. Here is how to wear purple lipstick
- Avoid heavy eye makeup / keep it minimal and neutral
- Brighter colors are better
- Do not match colors with outfits
- Choose a long lasting lipstick
- Choose your hairstyle carefully
- Keep your face neutral and shine free
Some good drugstore purple lipsticks
- NYX Macaron Lippie in Violet
- Topshop Matte Lip Bullet in Call Me Queen Bee
- Rouge Artist Intense in 14
- LoveMarc Lip Gel in Little Pretty
- Tom Ford Lip Color in Violet Fatable
Best Drugstore Burgundy Lipstick
Just like red lipstick the best burgundy lipstick otherwise known as the color of wine demands attention. Burgundy is one color that brings out a dramatic or edgy personality. It is a good choice when switching from the classic red lip and blends with all skin tones. Try this on with a white T-shirt and jeans or an evening gown. Chanel Wine Lipstick/ Minna Rose
Here are tips on how to pull off burgundy lipstick the right way
- Choose the right shade. If you have a darker skin tone, wear a rich almost plum color. If your skin tone is pale/olive go for the red optic to avoid standing out gothic- Cashmere Lip Cream in Bordeaux.
- Keep the rest of your face simple and off the drama.
- A lip pencil prolongs the wear. Find a lip pencil that works for you and be sure to stick to it for clean edges.
- Application- You need a lip liner for such a bold look to keep it clean and polished then follow with lipstick and/or gloss. Pair your lipstick with a like colored lip liner-Nars Lipstick Afghan Red
- Once you have your lipstick on, blot with paper towel and go over it with a second layer
- Always start by outlining your lips with a lip pencil to prevent bleeding or feathering.
- A dark gloss or lip stain offers a less severe finish than lipsticks applied with a brush or lip pencils.
- To set your makeup, blot with a paper towel and not a tissue so you don’t end up with white residue all over your lips.
Top Cheap Drugstore Plum, Fuschia and Mauve Lipsticks
Plum lipstick is a flattering shade that looks good on just anyone. To pull of plum lipstick do a subtle eye, nicely defined with eyeliner, using neutral eye shadow shades to leave the emphasis on the lips. If you go with a smoky eye, make it a softer look with grays or browns. Go easy on the blush.
Deep plums look great and natural on dark skin tones and can be stunning during the day(Maybelline plum perfect) and look even better in the evening on light skin tone-L’Oreal Paris Infallible Le rouge Lipstick in Persistent plum). Go neutral on your clothing as well. Many of these shades have cool undertones and are better suited for cool and neutral skin tones. If you have a warm skin tone, try a shade with yellow undertones.
For the top cheap drugstore plum lipstick
- Milani Black Cherry
- Revlon Super Lustrous Lipstick in Black Cherry
- Wet n Wild Sugar Plum
Top cheap drugstore Fuchsia lipstick
This is a hot trend for spring. It is not difficult to pull off as the red lip and blends with any skin tone. Here are things to keep off while wearing fuchsia lipstick
- Heavy eye makeup or heavy blush.
- Clothes that are in shades of pink (too much going on), bright orange, bright green, purple… Basically don’t pair it with clothes that are very bright themselves or outfits that have more than 2 colors going on.
- Colored eyeliners like purple & all.
- Chunky jewellery around the face area.
- Darker berry shades are more flattering than pale pinks.
- Look for a matte finish, and top with a gloss if you’re keen
- Keep the rest of your makeup fresh and clean, and go easy on the blush
- Treat it as a splash of colour in a neutral outfit
- For a long-lasting, swoon-worthy pink pout
For top cheap drugstore fuchsia lipstick
- L’Oreal Color Riche – Intense Fuchsia
- Colorbar Matt Velvet lipstick in Smokey Rose
- MUFE #203 lipstick
- NYX lipstick in chole
- Maybelline Colorsensational – Fuchsia Fever
Top cheap drugstore mauve lipstick
Mauve lipsticks go with whatever it is you are wearing. Mauve lipstick is any pinky-purple hue that veers towards brown tones. It’s a universally flattering range of shades that looks good on a variety of skin tones. Long wearing mauve lipsticks tend to be flakey and dry off. Apply a bit of your favorite lip balm, allow it to sink in for a few minutes, and then blot it off with a tissue before applying your lipstick.
Top cheap drugstore mauve lipsticks
- Revlon Colorstay Ultimate Suede Lipstick in Iconic
- Maybelline 14 hour Lipstick in ultimate Blush
- L’Oreal Color Riche #710 Mulberry
Drug store doesn’t include high end brands.